My wife made these the other night for a dinner with neighbors and they turned out terrific. In fact, they're likely better than the snickerdoodle recipe that I posted several years ago! The cookies in this recipe end up way softer, and are just as flavorful. Highly recommended! Note that this recipe was taken from an external website, which I'm transcribing here for both simplicity and posterity.
Makes 36 cookies in about 20 minutes.
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, just softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream together butter (barely softened) and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and blend well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ⅓ cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cinnamon.
- Use a small cookie scoop to scoop out dough, roll into a ball and then roll into the cinnamon sugar mixture- twice.
- Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes. Let sit on the cookie sheet for a few additional minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.