Here’s a small but handy Firefox tip for “safekeeping” your bookmarks. It also lets you share your bookmarks across multiple profiles!
- Navigate to your Firefox profile directory. On Windows, this is usually located somewhere similar to the following: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\
- Copy your bookmarks.html file and paste it in a safe location elsewhere on your hard drive.
- Back in your profile directory, create a text file called user.js (if one does not already exist). Open the file for editing in your favorite text editor (avoid word processors like Microsoft Word).
- Add the following line of text to this file, changing the path to the appropriate location (wherever you copied your bookmarks to earlier): user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file", “C:\Path to Bookmarks File\bookmarks.html”);
- Save the file and restart your browser!
You can use this trick in multiple profiles, allowing them to all point to the same bookmarks file. Additionally, it helps to safeguard against possibly losing your bookmarks if your profile becomes corrupt.